Designing a Bargello Quilt
This formula gives you basics you can alter to create the bargello you want.
Start with strips
- Click WORKTABLE > Work on Quilt.
- Click QUILT > New Quilt > Vertical (or Horizontal) Strip Quilt.
- Click the Layout tab.
- Under Select Strip click the Delete button until only one strip remains.
- Under Select a strip style, click the drop-down arrow. Choose Pieced Blocks.
- Make the Width 2.00 (or your preferred finished strip width).
- Make the Length 68.00 (or your preferred length).
- Under Number of blocks, make Along length be 20 (or your preferred number of strip divisions).
- Under Select strip, click Clone the selected strip if it is not checked, then click the Add button until you have 30 strips total (or your preferred number of strips).
- Need more than 32 strips? Click QUILT > Quilt Worktable Options > Strip Quilts > Layout Options > change “Number of Strips.”
- Need more than 24 spaces? Click QUILT > Quilt Worktable Options > Layout Options > click “All Styles” > change “Maximum number of blocks horizontally and vertically.”
Adjust strip widths
- Click the first strip in your quilt.
- Make the Width 3.00.
- Click the second strip in your quilt.
- Make the Width 2.75.
Repeat this process, downsizing strip widths 0.25 or 0.50 smaller, or to half the size of the previous strip. When your strip reaches the smallest size you are willing to sew, start increasing strip sizes by 0.25 or 0.50, or doubling the size. Repeat until all strip widths have been changed.
You can also use the Half Drop or Spaced Squares strip styles. Or try setting every other strip to Half Drop.
Color the strips
- Click the Layer 1 tab.
- Click the Paintbrush tool.
- Color a patch in strip 1 your darkest color.
- With the same color, color a patch 1 space up or down from where you colored in strip 1.
- Continue coloring to create the curving diagonals familiar to this style. Typically you change direction (up or down) when you reach the largest or smallest strip in the series.