Inkscape is a free vector software that can be used to explode blocks and quilts exported from EQ8 software. Follow the instructions below for installing Inkscape. Once you have Inkscape installed, open a PDF of a quilt or block saved from EQ8 to start pulling the patches/blocks apart.
Installing Inkscape on Windows
Installing Inkscape on Mac
For Inkscape to run properly on a Mac, you will first need to install XQuartz, then Inkscape. Follow these steps to properly install and set up XQuartz and Inkscape.
How to install XQuartz
- Using a web browser, go to XQuartz’s website, which is xquartz.org or xquartz.macosforge.org.
- Click the XQuartz dmg icon to download it.
- Once it’s fully downloaded, go to the folder your browser is set for files to be downloaded into — usually it’s the Downloads folder (System/Users/nameofuser/Downloads) — and double-click the XQuartz.dmg file to open it.
- A new window will appear. Double-click the XQuartz.pkg icon to open it.
- Another new window, which enables you to install XQuartz, will appear. Follow the steps and instructions in this window.
- Restart your Mac. You can either shut down or log out of it.
How to install Inkscape
- Using a web browser, go to the page in Inkscape.org where you download the Inkscape installer for the Mac.
- Click the box labelled “Mac OS X 10.7 Installer (xQuartz)” to download the .dmg file, which contains this installer.
- A new window showing the installer downloading will appear in your browser window.
- Once it’s fully downloaded, go to the folder your browser is set for files to be downloaded into — usually it’s the Downloads folder (System/Users/nameofuser/Downloads) — and double-click the installer to open it.
- Click and drag the Inkscape icon to the Applications icon as instructed in this window. This will install Inkscape to your Mac.
Setting Up Inkscape
- Open Inkscape by right-clicking its icon in the Applications folder, then choose Open. (You must do this through Finder, not via the Launchpad.)
- Choose Open in the prompt.
- Click OK in this window, which appears the first time Inkscape is opened.
- Wait for Inkscape to open. This might take a few minutes, since Inkscape is caching the fonts in your system. The next time you open Inkscape, it will not take nearly as long to show up. As soon as Inkscape does open, its interface will appear inside XQuartz.
- Open Inkscape’s/XQuartz’s preferences.
- Click the Input tab, and configure its settings to this.
- Click the Pasteboard tab and configure its settings to this.
- Close Preferences. You are now ready to use Inkscape.