Updated March 1, 2021
The following information is in regard to EQ8 compatibility with the newest macOS (Big Sur, released November 12, 2020) and the Apple Silicon processors (M1 chip) in new Mac computers. To know if you have an Intel processor or an M1 chip processor, click the the Apple icon in the upper-left corner and choose About this Mac. The type of processor will be listed there. Read below for information regarding EQ8 and your Mac computer.
EQ8 Owners with macOS 11 (Big Sur) with Intel Processor
A free update for EQ8 (version 188.8.131.52) is now available. This update resolves some printing issues running EQ8 on Big Sur. Please check our Product Updates page.
EQ8 Owners with macOS 11 (Big Sur) with M1 Chip Processor
EQ8 does not currently support Mac computers with Apple Silicon processors like the M1 chip. While there are no major bugs that we’ve found in our testing, there are performance issues you should be aware of before you try to install EQ8 on an M1 Mac computer.
There is a noticeable lag when performing the following functions:
- Opening Project Helper window via File > Open Project, the Open button, or the Open option on the Home screen
- Selecting projects in the Project Helper window
- Opening projects
- Creating a new project via the Project Helper window
- Add to Sketchbook
- Adding a new Auto Border to the quilt
- Opening and using the Libraries if there are add-ons linked to that library
- Editing blocks directly from the Block Library to the Block Worktable (because EQ8 also adds the block to the Sketchbook during this action)
- Adding Serendipity blocks to the Sketchbook – lag happens when the Serendipity dialog closes
We will continue to look into a solution for the performance issues, but we do not have a timeline for this fix.
EQ7 and EQ Mini Owners
We will not be making any changes to discontinued Mac software (EQ7 and EQ Mini) to accommodate Big Sur. If you would like to continue using either of these products, then we suggest that you maintain the macOS that currently works for you. Owners of these EQ products are eligible to upgrade to EQ8 at a discounted price. We encourage you to upgrade to EQ8!
If you have any questions, please contact our office.