Updated May 19, 2021
The following information is in regard to EQ8 compatibility with the newest macOS (Big Sur, released November 12, 2020) and the Apple Silicon processors (M1 chip) in new Mac computers. To know if you have an Intel processor or an M1 chip processor, click the the Apple icon in the upper-left corner and choose About this Mac. The type of processor will be listed there. Read below for information regarding EQ8 and your Mac computer.
EQ8 Owners with macOS 11 (Big Sur) with M1 Chip Processor
EQ8 now fully supports Mac computers with Apple Silicon processors like the M1 chip.
- If you do not currently own EQ8, you can purchase it now.
- If you already own EQ8 and your computer has an M1 chip processor, you can update to the compatible version (184.108.40.206) now. If you have version 220.127.116.11 on a Mac computer with an Intel processor, updating to 18.104.22.168 is optional.
Below is a list of performance issues originally found in EQ8 on M1 chip computers. These issues have been fixed! If you install the latest update (22.214.171.124) and you continue to see these issues, please let us know.
There was a noticeable lag when performing the following functions:
- Opening Project Helper window via File > Open Project, the Open button, or the Open option on the Home screen
- Selecting projects in the Project Helper window
- Opening projects
- Creating a new project via the Project Helper window
- Add to Sketchbook
- Adding a new Auto Border to the quilt
- Opening and using the Libraries if there are add-ons linked to that library
- Editing blocks directly from the Block Library to the Block Worktable (because EQ8 also adds the block to the Sketchbook during this action)
- Adding Serendipity blocks to the Sketchbook – lag happens when the Serendipity dialog closes
EQ7 and EQ Mini Owners
We will not be making any changes to discontinued Mac software (EQ7 and EQ Mini) to accommodate Big Sur. If you would like to continue using either of these products, then we suggest that you maintain the macOS that currently works for you. Owners of these EQ products are eligible to upgrade to EQ8 at a discounted price. We encourage you to upgrade to EQ8!
If you have any questions, please contact our office.