How do I design a strip quilt with square blocks
Insuring the blocks in your strip quilt are square is a matter of simple multiplication.
- Click QUILT > New Quilt > Vertical Strip (or Horizontal strip).
- Click the Layout tab.
- Click the Add or Delete button until you have the number of strips you want.
- Under Select strip style: Pieced Blocks
To make sure the blocks are square, use this formula:
Strip Width x Number of blocks = Strip Length
- Under Number of blocks along length: choose the number of squares you want along the strip.
- Under Strip size: choose the width you want.
- For Length: multiply width x number of blocks. This ensures your blocks are square.
Strip width: 9”
Number of blocks: 7
Strip length: 9” x 7 blocks = 63”
- Click strip 2 to select it. Now, you can either set plain strips between block strips or choose another block style.
- Under Select strip style, you might choose:
- Plain (to separate block rows with long plain strips)
- or Half Drop Blocks (to stagger blocks in rows)
- Under Strip size: choose the width you want. Plain strips can be any width. Half Drop Blocks must be the same strip width as strip 1 and have same number of blocks as strip 1.
- Click strip 3 to select it. Repeat strip style, width and number of blocks used for strip 1.
- Click strip 4 to select it. Repeat strip style, width and number of blocks used for strip 2.
- Continue alternating strip styles until your layout design is complete.
- Click the Layer 1 tab when you’re ready to set blocks or color into your layout.