How do I set stencils quickly and accurately?
Setting stencils on Layer 3 is quick and easy when using the correct settings in your Quilt Worktable Options. The Custom Set grid is available for Layers 2 and 3 of traditional layouts as well as a Custom Set layout, so let’s use that. The best way to do this is to make your settings match the layout settings on the Layout tab. For instance, my quilt is 6 across and 6 down at 10″ for each block. Since my blocks are 10″, i can set my Quilt Worktable Options to set blocks every 10″ with a size of 10″. Follow the steps below to get a better idea of what this means.
- Click QUILT > New Quilt > Horiztonal.
- Click the Layout tab.
- Set your blocks to 6 Horizontal and 6 Vertical.
- Set your size to 10″ for Width and Height.
- Click the Layer 3 tab.Before you set your blocks, we need to adjust the settings in the Quilt Worktable Options.
- Click the Quilt Worktable Options button on the Graph Pad, or choose QUILT > Quilt Worktable Options from the menu.
- Under Setting Blocks, change the Drag and Drop option to Use the sizes entered below, and change them both to 10.000.
- Under Snap Settings, change to the Grid is set to snap every 10 inches.
- Under View Settings, make sure the third option is selected Ruler and Grid Origin: Top left corner of quilt’s center layout.
- Click OK.
- Back on Layer 3, click the Set Block tool.
- Find a block in the palette and click and hold it while dragging it to the quilt. When you release the mouse it will snap into a 10″ spot. Continue to drag and drop blocks on the quilt.
The example image shows the Layer 3 stencils, but you can also see blocks on Layer 1 as well…but faintly. This was done using the Layer Visibility option which is a great feature when working on Layers 2 and 3.